J-tube pulls have been made with "SplashTRON®"-coated pipelines for 30 years at depths to more than 1,000 feet, and protection is assured for the life of the installation. SplashTRON® is a good electrical insulator, which prevents loss of cathodic protection, and it will not contribute to galvanic corrosion.
Mark Tool's SplashTRON® polyurethane pipeline coating is bonded strongly and uniformly to the J pipe, giving complete protection during the pull and after. Since it is an elastomer, it won’t crack or disbond as the pipe bends around the "J". For insurance against practically any eventuality, many operators use a combination of "SplashTRON®" products:
- Complete coating of the pipeline in the tube with "SplashTRON®" giving permanent corrosion protection and electrical insulation.
- A bottom J-tube plug, which seals off the annulus, centralizes the pipe in the tube and confines corrosion inhibitor to the inside of the J-tube.
- Most of the leading producing and transmission companies use "SplashTRON®", including four lines in J-tubes in more than 1,000 feet of water to the world's deepest conventional platforms.
Features and Benefits of SplashTRON®
- Strong bond of "SplashTRON®" to metal... Shields metal from salt water and oxygen attack... Cannot easily be dislodged.
- Resilient coating... Will not crack or disbond as pipe flexes or bends... Pipe can be "cold bent" after "SplashTRON®" is applied, with no adverse effects.
- Long Lasting... Requires no routine maintenance for the life of of the platform, riser, or pipeline.
- Yellow Color... Readily visible for safety... contains no carbon black to impair electrical insulation.
- Resists buildup of scale, fungus and sea life... Easily cleaned to keep desired OD.
- Good Electrical Insulator... Isolates cathodic protection systems, prevents galvanic corrosion.
The tough, yet flexible, SplashTRON® is uniformly bonded to the metal surface that will be exposed in the splash zone in thicknesses of 1/4", 1/2",3/4", and 1". It resists impact damage, features exceptional weatherability, requires no routine maintenance, has excellent insulating properties (thermal and electrical) and can be used at temperatures from -45°F to 200°F.
Common applications of SplashTRON® include platform structural members (legs and diagonals), conventional risers, pipelines pulled through J-tubes, conductors and the lining of riser clamps. Mark Tool has coated offshore platforms with SplashTRON® for two decades. The tough, long-lasting elastomer is applied to structural members exposed to the splash zone during fabrication. It provides complete protection against the erosive action of abrasive-laden seawater, the harsh attack of ozone and ultraviolet rays, incidental impact from boats and floating debris and the effect of sea life which builds upon all offshore installations.
An important feature of SplashTRON® in platform coating application is the fact that it is completely and permanently bonded to the metal surface, and because it is flexible, it won't crack or disbond as the members bend, expand, and contract. SplashTRON® can be expected to protect against corrosion for the life of the platform. SplashTRON® has proven its effectiveness in the Gulf of Mexico and other offshore areas around the world for more than 30 years. It is used by the leading producers of oil and gas, and most transmission companies.
SplashTRON® is a high density elastomer, splash zone coating for splash zone protection featuring excellent resistance to weathering, fungus, marine life, and most oils. SplashTRON® is applied in our plant in Garden City, Louisiana (near Franklin), in California, as well as Japan, to pipe of practically any length and diameter. We also manufacture SplashTRON® sleeves which can be applied in the field and used where more than one joint of pipe is needed for splash zone protection, as in J-tube pulls. The sleeves fit over welded areas of the pipe and are bonded to the pipe with a two-part structural adhesive that we supply. SplashTRON® is also an excellent material for use in J-tube plugs and lining for riser clamps.
Mark Tool & Rubber is a leader in splash zone protection and a leading manufacturer of custom molded rubber products for several oilfield and marine applications. Specialty products include rubber rollers, polyurethane rollers, and pipe spacers. Their state-of-the-art manufacturing facility can handle every job, no matter how big or small.