In January 2016, Mark Tool and Elite Elastomers entered into a joint venture focused on the research, development, and end-use application for complete, elastomeric, subsea high-temperature thermal insulation systems that could be installed via three methods: J-Lay, S-Lay, and Reel-Lay. The newly formed company has been named MTE Engineered Materials. The chosen name represents the combined strengths of both Mark Tool and Elite Elastomers. MTE Engineered Materials is proud to present to you the latest groundbreaking technology in subsea thermal insulation: ThermoTRON.
High-temperature wet insulation system intended for use in splash zone protection of risers, hull piping and subsea jumpers, with an internal operating temperature of up to 350°F.
Lifetime Aging Test Program:
- Thousands of ThermoTron samples were tested
- Arrhenius-based lifetime prediction model was performed for both the dry and wet aged materials
- All calculations showed >>> 30 years survivability at its designed temp
Types of tests
- End of Life (EOL) testing
- Exposure tests
- UV exposure
- Laboratory testing
- Hot dry-aging testing
- Water uptake testing
- Wet thermal degradation
- Heat capacity testing
- Thermal conductivity
- Thermal degradation
- Oxidation testing
- High temperature testing up to 525° F
- Low temperature testing down to 25° F
- SST (simulated service test) with Internal pipe
temperature 525°F, External pressure 4500 PSI (hydrostatic)
Typical Applications for ThermoTRON 350
- Insulation System for Flow-lines
- Insulation System for Production Risers
- Insulation System for Hull piping
- Insulation System for Tie-backs
- Insulation System for Spool
- The first layer is a corrosion coating that provides the pipe surface (the pipe is first steel grit blasted) with a film that is highly resistant to chemical attack and to cathodic disbondment.
- The second layer consists of a bonding agent that works as a bonding layer between the ThermoTRON 350™ top coat and the first layer of corrosion coating.
- The third layer consists of extruded ThermoTRON 350™ 1” thick depending on the service conditions (the thickness could vary). The function of the third layer is to provide the system with excellent thermal insulation properties and both anticorrosive and mechanical protection.